[Rhodes22-list] Fw: Did you do it? Did you Sail?

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Sat Jun 27 10:59:59 EDT 2009

We sailed Sunday,or, at least tried to.The wind was very light-2 to 4
knots,we ghosted around for about 45 min. then pulled up to the boaters
swim area and threw out the hook, then I tried Lee's trick and put up the
hammock and told Carol to try it out. She liked it,maybe too much,as she
snuggled in and grabbed her book,I could see that I'd better find
something else to do,because the hammock was TAKEN.
I'd been waiting for the water to warm up so I could dive on the
centerboard and free it up.The first week of May ,I ran aground on a
shoal,right in front of the sailing club.So for ten minutes, they got to
watch me try to wrangle Country Rhodes off the shoal.Which I finally did
,but not before packing enough rocks,sticks and mud between the
centerboard and it's trunk to seize it up real good.After a month and a
half of sailing,it still hasn't fell down,so it was time for an
intervention.The lake I sail on is very murky,so the top 10 inches of
water is about 80*F,the next 10 inches of water is about 70*F and the next
10 inches is somewhere in the 60's. Which is about where I'll be when
trying to free up the centerboard.So, I gingerly ease myself down the swim
ladder and spend a few minutes getting used to the cold,and after three
dives I manage to free it up.While still in the water,I ask Carol to lift
the board up and down to make sure it's ok. Carol said it feels fine,and
asked if I wanted some noodles since the hammock was TAKEN.So I floated a
few laps around the boat (the noodles kept me up in the 80 degree range
water)Then took her back to the dock and she went home to let the dogs
out,I went out for supper and came back to the boat and the wind picked up
and had a real nice sail,stayed on the boat over night,and played hookey
from work Monday.

Jerry Lowe
s/v Country Rhodes

PS: the picture is Marley,not Carol