[Rhodes22-list] Fw: Did you do it? Did you Sail?

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Sat Jun 27 08:28:52 EDT 2009

Untitled document
----- Original Message -----
From: John Arndt
To: stan at rhodes22.com
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 5:36 PM
Subject: Did you do it? Did you Sail?

               Did You Sail?

            Thousands of sailors worldwide joined together in a celebration of sailing!
            Where did you sail?

            The stories are coming in from thousands of sailors who connected in a global celebration of sailing on the weekend of June 20/21.  We’ve heard from sailors in Puerto Rico, Shanghai (starting before sunrise!), Seattle, Tahiti, Spitsbergen (80 degrees North), Alaska, Annapolis and on bodies of water everywhere. We’re looking forward to hearing your sailing stories too. We’re posting them to the ‘Sailstice Tales’ page as we find out who did what and where! It’s now the summer sailing season in the Northern Hemisphere and, for most, it’s just the beginning of many pleasant, adventurous days ahead. Send your Summer Sailstice Tales to john at summersailstice.com.

            When is the prize drawing?

            Prizes are being sorted and winners selected as we type. We’ll be sending out notices to the companies offering prizes and they will get in touch with winners to award prizes. We do have over 400 prizes, including the Moorings charter, to award and the random number generator is lining them up now. Notices won’t be sent out until mid-July. Until then we hope your Sailstice sail was rewarding and even possibly rewarded!

            Sailors for the Sea

            While most of us were celebrating with 13-16 hours of daylight in the lower latitudes, a few intrepid sailors were pushing ever further North and enjoying up to 24 hours of daylight. Jeremy Young, on the yacht ‘Sergey Vavilov’, must have been the furthest North at about 80 degree North in the Atlantic. At the same time the crew of ‘Ocean Watch’ was pushing North in the Pacific towards Dutch Harbor, Alaska.  They are circumnavigating both American continents on the ‘Around the Americas’ voyage supported by Sailors for the Sea. This year hundreds of Summer Sailstice participants joined in supporting the ‘Ocean Watch’ expedition by pledging dollars for each mile they sailed on Summer Sailstice. 'Ocean Watch' will be approaching Cape Horn for the Southern Hemisphere Summer Sailstice on December 21 so we plan to stay connected with them and celebrate again!

            T-shirts, hats and burgees now just $10!

            Yes, we have lots less Summer Sailstice 2009 gear on the shelves but we do have some. And it’s more fun on your boat than our shelves, so we’d like to sell the last of it at great savings. Some sizes are out of stock and won’t be reordered but, we still have a good selection to send your way. Visit the store and take the last of the 2009 gear for a sail with you this summer!

            Treasure Island

            Over the years Summer Sailstice on San Francisco Bay has transformed into a full-on sailing festival with thousands of local sailors congregating on Treasure Island by anchoring in large raft-ups in Clipper Cove. Many also arrive by car and bus to enjoy music from five bands, view boats, take sailboat rides, compete on the ‘America True’ grinder contest or dig for treasure on the beach. All facets of sailing are represented from the tall ship ‘Alma’ who sailed through the cove, to windsurfers sailing dinghies, and a 100 boat keelboat regatta. Check out pictures and stories at:www.summersailstice.com/sf

            Flickr/Facebook/Youtube and more

            We’re seeing more pictures on Flickr, members on the Summer Sailstice Facebook group and video on Youtube. Sign up, share your images and sail on!

            Thanks for joining us for Summer Sailstice 2009 and we look forward to joining you again for Summer Sailstice 2010 on the weekend of June 19/20 – the tenth annual celebration of sailing.

            Have a great summer of sailing!

            Want to join us in turning the world upside down (or is that right side up?) and celebrate Summer Sailstice Southern Hemisphere on December 21st?

            Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend  Copyright © 2009
            Summer Sailstice, 6 Jersey Lane, San Anselmo, CA  94960