[Rhodes22-list] Thank Goodness for Furling Sails

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sun Jun 28 10:32:32 EDT 2009

Weather forecast called for 6 mph winds, blue skies, and mild summer
temperatures.  My wife likes to sail with the bimini up and yesterday seemed
like the perfect day for an afternoon sail and picnic lunch.

Starting out winds were a little higher at about 7 knots with less than a
foot of chop; for about 15 minutes.  In an hour the wind was up to 14 knots
with some of the worst chop I've been in.  I had taken in the sails but had
to put the poptop down because the cabin was getting soaked.  The waves were
moving us at slightly over 3 knots with no sails and the motor down.

We could have doused the sails on a regular boat but there was no way I
would have hassled with putting them away in that chop.  Other small
sailboats would have been safe in those conditions but we wouldn't have
mentally felt as safe.  My wife said it was comparable to a kiddy
rollercoaster which was actually true--safe and fun.  The fun got old and we
eventually went in.

So glad we have a Rhodes.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease