[Rhodes22-list] Cowl Vent

Rick sloopblueheron at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 11:37:48 EDT 2009

Mary Lou,

I run jacklines from the bow cleat to each aft cleat, using the clips on the
bow cleat in case I need room there to tie on the anchor rode.  In the usual
case where I need to go forward, but I haven't set the jacklines, I tie the
bitter end of a jackline to the mast with a clove hitch leaving about 5'
free to the clip.  I double clip a tether to my harness, then clip onto the
jackline to move from the cockpit to the bow.  Once on the bow deck, I can
use the tether to clip onto the cleat or pulpit.

I wear an integrated harness and inflatable which IMO is very comfortable
and convenient.  Most women I know wouldn't agree, especially when inflation
occurs.  For my female crew, I have a harness designed for women that goes
on under a life vest.  It is not bad with the newer vests that have straps
instead of floatation over the shoulders because attaching a tether will
lift up the jacket a bit.

Last fall, West Marine came out with an integrated inflatable for women.  I
got one as a gift for my wife last Christmas.  She and my nieces who often
crew with me all gave it a trial at the gift opening.  I had to get my money
back.

Rick