[Rhodes22-list] Here is Doyle offer on UPS pricing

Caesar Paul caesarpaul01 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 1 21:25:53 EST 2009

Thanks guys,

Last Summer was my first sailing season, having  acquired the boat in early May.  I sail on a lake and to date more often than not i have experienced light winds, winds in which my 175 collapses even when reefed somewhat.  As you may have experienced, it not fun being dead in open water, with no motion and no shelter.  To might delight, my wife insisted that I get bimini.

Next Problem:  I am looking for a way to sail on most points of sail, if not all points of sail in very light air.  I have found that poling out the 175 helps a lot on reach to run legs with light winds.  Without the pole the 175 collapses on itself.

I have heard from this list that UPS allows you to sail on most points of sail in very light air, say from 2-3 mph, and not just on a run.  It will fill out,and not collapse even in a chop, and allow you sail slowly on any point of sail, even when others are dead in the water.

Is there any lake sailor, or sailor in frequent fickle winds, who can help me/us get a fair sense of the performance of the UPS on the various points of sail, and not just on a run in very light air?

Sailing down wind in light air, wing on wing, with the genny poled out is a lot of fun.  Is it Rummy who reminded us that doing the same in a good wind is close to extreme sailing.

The question again is: will a UPS allow a Rhodes 22 sailor to sail on all, or most points of sail in winds from, say 2 mph?  I am looking for a way to beat the "dead in the water blues."