[Rhodes22-list] Cooler space

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sat Mar 14 19:29:02 EDT 2009

Rod,

I've only used the boat's cooler once when I had a crowd and didn't want to
clutter the cabin with a separate big cooler.  Normally it doesn't make
sense to transfer stuff from a carry-on cooler to the boat's cooler.

If you're overnighting and need space for lots of perishables, the boat's
cooler probably would come in handy in addition to another cooler.  For
daysailing I've never needed more than one large cooler.

I have a variety of coolers that I've placed on the countertop, on the
starboard floor next to the companionway step, and up against the bulkhead
next to the galley.  I have the portapotty set-up and most coolers fit well
on the step between the end of the settee and the portapotty.  The only
problem with that spot is that it puts weight on the port side of the boat
along with the weight of the motor and fuel.  It encourages me to drink hard
and fast to level out the boat.

I like your idea and have thought of doing it myself, but the boat's cooler
looks good where it is and I've used it as a cabinet to store non-food
supplies.  I have a six-pack soft cooler (which holds about two six-packs
without ice) that fits well into the boat's cooler.

Under the cockpit seats seems like a handy spot, except that you'd need to
drag it out to open it up.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD

Ellner wrote:

> I like the pockets on the doors and the shelves.    Could a person
> insert the doors with the pockets facing out occasionally?  There may
> be a reason to do that?
>
> the size of the Igloo with wheels is 21" Wide,x 20" high(30" high with
> the lid open) and 16" deep.  The soft sided one was smaller. I would
> like to find a well insulated soft sided cooler with wheel. The one i
> found had everything except the insulating quality was suspect.  I
> would be interested what other people are using.  Come to think about
> it, I have a totally cooler that I got at a booth at one of the
> Strictly Sail Shows ,Chicago.  It is well insulated but without wheels.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rod
>

> On Mar 14, 2009, at 12:02 PM, cjlowe at sssnet.com wrote:
>
>> Rod,
>>
>>  Great idea,I think I'll do the same thing. The dimensions are:
>> 24.5" tall
>> 16.25" wide
>> 16" deep
>> Last year I removed the double sliding doors under the counter top and
>> made a door that pivots out and lifts off,that has pockets on the back
>> and shelves in behind.It worked out well for me so now I'm starting
>> to do
>> both end,under the galley.this post came just in time to include your
>> idea in this project.Pictures below (hopefully)
>>
>> Jerry Lowe
>>

>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> Do any of you know the dimensions of the cooler in the galley.  I am
>>> considering removing that cooler and leaving the space open and using
>>> that for a square type portable cooler that has the opening in the
>>> the
>>> top. Igloo makes one and I have seen some soft sided types  with
>>> wheels.  I could then put the portable cooler in that space and not

>>> http://www.rhodes22.org/list