[Rhodes22-list] Electrical

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri May 1 09:31:34 EDT 2009

I'll take a stab at this though not sure how helpful I can be. Answers below.

At 09:14 AM 5/1/2009, you wrote:

>I have a new r22 and am trying to figure out a few things.
>1. Anchor light circuit is included on the panel and a wire goes up the
>mast. What does this wire connect to?

Not sure. I suspect every mast is different. If you don't have a
masthead light, maybe you just have the wire for one. Next time the
mast is down, you'll have to take a look. Fretless didn't have one
when we bought her recycled from Stan in 1998. We had to add it to
the panel, run the wire and install the light.

>2. Do the solar panels or outboard go thru a regulator?  Both are charging
>the batteries.  Just curious if I have a regulator and can't find it.

Folks who have a more recent recycle can probably give you a getter
answer but here's what I know (or don't.) I don't think regulators
are common for outboards. We don't have a solar panel. We do have a
battery monitor (was Link 10 when we bought it - now Zantrex
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/96/p/1/pt/7/product.asp) They are kind
of pricey but has kept us apprised of the state of our battery. We
went to an AGM battery several years ago because we couldn't fit a
battery box in the space allotted for the battery (again different on
different R22s).

>3. Shore power.  I assume this only feeds the outlets and does not charge
>the batteries because I don't see a charger.

We have a multistage charger that we added to the boat. We ran wires
to the battery and plug it into shore power AC.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall, MD