[Rhodes22-list] Electrical

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Fri May 1 13:44:42 EDT 2009

Just kind of dove-tailing on what has been said:

1.  I have a masthead/steaming light that is run off the "Anchor Light"
switch and circuit.  It is my understanding when anchored that you are to
display one white all-around light.  Whether a white steaming light and a
white stern light on together meets this requirement, I don't know.  My
stern light is on a separate switch from the red/green running lights so
this might be the reason it was designed that way.  On my lake, you can't
have too many lights on, so I also carry a big flashlight to shine on the
sail if someone gets close.  In addition, I added a white all-around light
to the top of the mast run off the the same circuit/switch just to make sure
when I am anchored.

2.  I was just reading somewhere that you do not need a regulator for solar
panels whose output is 10 watts or less.  More then 10 watts and/or multiple
panels and a regulator is recommended.  I have two 10 watt panels that were
installed at GBI and two deep cycle batteries installed in the boat with no
regulator.  In three years, I haven't had any problems with them boiling
off, but neither do they last longer then their two year rating which is
surprising in my moderate climate.  Having a regulator would help extend
their useful life I would think.  My 5hp Honda outboard doesn't have a
starter/gen to charge the batteries and with only short distances to motor,
I don't miss it.  The old outboard had the starter/gen connected directly to
the starting battery-so no regulation there.

3.  No charger built in-but not a bad idea if solar panels can't recharge
you fast enough.  If you built a charger in, where would you put it?  Maybe
in the battery compartment mounted on the bulkhead next to the head and pick
power off the 115 outlet in the head?

David

l//Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 10:28:39 -0400