[Rhodes22-list] mini Rhodes fleet action .....

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Sat May 16 07:27:22 EDT 2009

Got Muireann out for her shakedown yesterday (part of plan B for the end of
semester sailing trip ...) and things went fairly well.  We trailered from
home just north of Akron to the Edgewater ramps in Cleveland Harbor.  Got
Muireann rigged.  We're trying some new tricks to speed up rigging a little.
We left the side stays and aft stays rigged and taped and just coiled them
separately.  Also the lower stays were not coiled, but rather were gathered
up along the mast and tied off along with the genoa/forestay and boom.  This
seemed to save time though we aren't ready for a 'clock & board' exercise
just yet.  Found that we managed to lose the fiddle block stirrup over the
winter.  We probably lost it the very last time we rigged Muireann for
trailer last October after visiting Put-in-Bay in Lake Erie (coincidentally
the second part of plan B should have us there again tomorrow or Monday.
Until we replaced the stirrup later yesterday afternoon (thanks to the
skipper of Blue Heron!, more on that later), we jury rigged (what a polite
phase that is ....) the connection between the fiddle block and the boom end
with a little cordage.  It worked well enough to get us out into the lake.

While cruising outside the breakwall, we heard a call for "Rhodes 22" on
channel 16.  My admiral answered and discovered that Blue Heron was hailing
us from about two miles further offshore.  We sailed north, Blue Heron
sailed south, and a mini Rhodes rendezvous was in the making.

Here's a shot of Blue Heron crossing Muireann's bows ....

http://www.nabble.com/file/p23572871/Copy%2Bof%2BPICT0018.jpeg

After soon maneuvering, Muireann accompanied Blue Heron home and Rick (Blue
Heron's skipper) was kind enough to give me a ride over to Sailing Inc. to
replace the lost stirrup.  Miraculously they had it and on the boating cost
scale it may as well have been free.  Muireann's fiddle block is whole
again.

After visiting with Rick for a bit, my Admiral and I set off for our launch
point, which was at the other (western) end of Cleveland Harbor from Blue
Heron's home.  The wind was with us and we sailed wing-in-wing with the
nifty new Forespar pole making it seem ridiculously easy.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p23572871/Copy%2Bof%2BPICT0024.jpeg

All-in-all a good shakedown.

Today is scheduled under plan B to be a work day to do a few things on
Muireann then we're off to the Lake Erie Islands tomorrow for a short, 4 day
cruise.  We're not planning on a visit to Canada, but we've stowed a
quarantine flag and a Canadian courtesy flag on board and will rig a flag
halyard on our starboard spreader arm, just in case.

Mike Cheung, s/v Muireann