[Rhodes22-list] IMF for old Rhodes

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue May 19 12:14:01 EDT 2009

Despite its age and small inventory of nagging problems I love my
Rhodes ('79 model).  The mast is not from a Rhodes.  Don't know what
its origin is.  I believe all Rhodes non-IMF rigs were masthead design
(Stan, correct me if I'm wrong on that).  My rig appears to be a 7/8
fractional design.  See photos attached.  You can see that the
forestay attaches to the mast some distance down from the top and you
can also see the diamond stays that reinforce the top of the mast.  It
is my understanding that this supports larger headsails for racing.  I
dunno from experience.  I just have the 175 Genoa on it.

The boom is fixed in position on the mast.  Relative to IMF mast it is
always in the UP position.  The boom is attached to a gooseneck that
provides boom furling.  This works by taking up the topping lift to
support the boom and easing the main halyard.  Then, by pulling back
slightly on the boom, it disengages from the fitting on the gooseneck
and can rotate freely.  I just roll the boom 3-4 times to wrap some
sail around it for a first reef.  Then push the boom forward to re-
engage the gooseneck, trim the main halyard, and release the topping
lift.

It's less complicated than it sounds and you can probably convert any
non-IMF mast to boom furling with parts from Dwyer Mast.  You may or
may not have to replace the boom itself.  You may just need new end
caps and a roller-furling gooseneck.  See the following -

http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1ID=40&cat1Name=Hardware&familyID=17&familyName=Goosenecks
http://www.dwyermast.com/families.asp?cat1ID=30&cat1Name=Booms

Cheers!
John Lock