[Rhodes22-list] cross over stays

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Tue May 19 22:56:58 EDT 2009

Gary,
Nice part of the world. We've been down that way a few times in the
last couple of years but not with the boat.

The forward lowers with the extenders do work to control sway (along
with the shrouds which are also attached before raising the mast).
This only works if you are raising the mast from the stern rail. It
doesn't completely control sway but it helps. We usually both are
around when we are raising the mast so there are usually two people
doing the work. Fred is usually working the winch and I am ready with
the boat hook to control what sway there is and to release any snagged lines.

Our extenders are aluminum bars but I believe I've heard of folks
using chain instead and it may be that some of the GB hoist systems use chain.

Mary Lou