[Rhodes22-list] Chesapeake sail

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed May 27 12:37:23 EDT 2009

Chris (and others),

I'm still a little confused on how to describe reefing.  Hopefully someone
will let me know if this is incorrect.

A jib is a headsail that reaches back to the mast.

If a headsail reaches past the mast, then it is a Genoa.  I just read an
article on the new J-95 (with a combination keel/centerboard giving credit
to our Rhodes) and it had a 110% jib, so I might be wrong on the difference
between a jib and Genoa.

If you have your Genoa reefed to 50%, then it is only out halfway to the
mast.  If it's reefed down to 100%, it only reaches the mast.  If you have a
175% Genoa and it's reefed to 150%, then it's two-thirds of the way from the
mast to being fully deployed.

I assume if a mainsail is reefed to 50%, then its clew is pulled out halfway
along the boom.  If that's true, then a triangular mainsail reefed to 50%
would have less than 20% of its sail area out.

Does that sound right?

Lee