[Rhodes22-list] advice needed from litigious Rhodies

BenCittadino bencittadino at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 17:55:09 EST 2009

Stan;

I'm somewhat distracted at the moment, being at the geographic center of the
Yankees/Phillies World Series, but my "from the hip" opinion is that no one
can reassure you about your legal position without a whole lot more
information. The facts presented raise all kinds of trademark and patent
issues that may or may not provide a basis for a claim by Catalina.

It's one thing for me to modify my car for my own use, and quite another to
to take a GM design and re-engineer it for commercial sale. Would you be
utilizing protected (patented) design features belonging to Catalina without
their permission for a commercial purpose? Would you be relying upon or
trading on Catalina's good-will in the market place? Could they claim you
were "palming off" your product as theirs?

I like the "joint venture" idea a lot. Nothing beats getting out ahead of a
potential problem by making a potential adversary your partner.

Have fun.

By the way, the s/v Susan Kay is "on the hard" as of last week, awaiting my
winter cover from our own Art Czerwonky. Pictures will follow (eventually).

Go Yankees!

BenCittadino