[Rhodes22-list] Sail removal

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Sat Nov 21 16:23:12 EST 2009

I am getting ready to put my boat to bed for the winter and plan to remove
the sails for cleaning and storage.  My boat is in a slip and will be put on
jack stands in the boat yard for the winter in a few weeks.  I plan to take
the mast down and leave it in the mast crutch to stretch a canvas cover
over.  Is it best practice to remove the furling genoa (175) while the
rigging is up or is it best to remove after the mast is lowered?  Does the
sail help protect the metal slide that the genoa goes thru while it is being
lowered with the mast?  Is it easy to remove the genoa after the rigging is
lowered?  I understand the main can only be removed after the mast is down.