[Rhodes22-list] Leak from above

sail tds.net sail at tds.net
Mon Nov 23 08:40:00 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 4:16 PM, cowie <ccowie at cowieassociates.com> wrote:

> I have had a leak at the port rail thru deck fitting that started as a
> regular drip early in the season on my new R22 2009.  I removed the rail
> nuts from inside the cabin but the rail would not budge.  It seemed like I
> would really have to pry to get the rail to budge the and I hate to ruin
> what might be a good tight fit so I left the rail in place and used some
> clear silicon sealant around the rail were it sits on the cabin top
> outside.
> I think I also read on the list that other thru deck fittings might be the
> cause of this type of leak so I also removed the stay attachment and
> re-installed with the same clear silicone sealant.  This seemed to abate
> the
> leak for a while but it came back with a vengance when Ida came thru.  The
> little plastic cap that conceals the nut from below was wet when I checked
> on it Friday.  Is it feasable that any of the other nearby thru deck
> fittings could be leaking and the water migrates thru the wood core between
> the inner and outer fiberglass shells?  Should I just ago ahead and pry off
> the rail and reset with clear silicone?  Is the operable hatch a likely
> culprit and should I take out all the screws, pry up the hatch and reset
> with silicone sealant?  Has anyone encountered and solved this problem?
> Enclosed is a pdf with several photos for reference.
>

> http://old.nabble.com/file/p26459988/r22leak.pdf r22leak.pdf
> --

Chris,

Silicone sealant is designed to be used as a gasket.  Silicone will not
adhere well to either your fibreglass cabin top or the rail.  If you are
sure this is the source of the leak I would not hesitate to remove the rail
and re-bed it. Don Casey has written some definitive articles on re-bedding
and the appropriate bedding materials.

--Fair winds,

>>ron<<
S/V Serenity