[Rhodes22-list] Boat Show Report

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Oct 9 22:42:06 EDT 2009

Art asked for a Boat Show report. So here goes. My apologies if I
missed someone that we spent time talking to. It was a very warm day
and ultimately I wilted a bit in the heat. (That's my story but in
truth my memory isn't great and my memory for names and faces is even worse)

Arrived in Annapolis around 0835 and parked in our secret parking
place. Had breakfast at a local hangout and had a nice chat with the
folks at the next table. One was a local racer and the other a friend
who was working a booth for company from Newport RI making kevlar
kayaks. Service was slow so we by the time we hit the bank and then
walked over to the show it was open. We did stop on the way and
admired Chris's Opus in the demo boat slip. Very sharp looking boat.

Wandered around a bit hit the GB display around 1030. 3 boats on
land. A new one, a recycled '01 and a recycled '88 with the mast
hoist system in place. Made for a very impressive display. # terrific
boats. I think it was made possible by the fact that Hunter seems to
have abandoned the space where it had a shoreside display. Spent some
time talking to Michael Meltzer. Met Mac Macready from the Magothy
and Steve Staum from Massachusetts. And a couple from Kansas who own
an older boat. Can't remember your names. Oops. Also at the display
was Carlos Rodriguez from General Boats.

No gathering for lunch.

In looking for a place for lunch we did see a couple in R22 shirts.
We followed them to their table and introduced themselves. I didn't
catch or don't recall their names but they were from Montreal and
bought Peter Thorn's Raven which once belonged to the Kaynors and
before that to Gary Sanford. I think that's the only R22 where we've
met 4 of the owners. We invited them to join the list so you may hear
from them something about the crazy Americans who accost people at lunch.

We managed to hit nearly all the land displays and a few of the boat
displays in addition to the GB display. I found a great deal on a
pair of Keen sandals and bought my nautical Christmas cards including
elle's Santa crab.

Actually GB was bucking the trend with a larger display. There were
fewer Catalinas, Hunters and Island Packets at the show than in
recent years. There were fewer large catamarans but there were still
a lot. West Marine had moved to the much larger space once occupied
by Boaters World (and I got a good deal on some sailing gloves). We
spent a bunch of time talking to Garmin trying to figure out the
differences between their small GPS/plotters.

Came back to the GB booth several times to see if we could help sell
a Rhodes or three. Chris, your boat was out on at least 3 demo sales
one of which may have sold a boat. We may have another boat on the
Choptank River off the Chesapeake Bay. Overall, interest in the R22
seemed high and Michael was working his butt off trying to be a
pushy-in-a-nice-way New York salesman. Actually he was great and if
he works at the same pace tomorrow he may be worn out by the time he
starts his new job in Chicago.

I think overall attendance was a little light but maybe not as light
as last year or the year before in the rain. Rain is predicted for
tomorrow. Not necessarily a bad thing as serious buyers still go.

We originally thought we might stick around and do dinner in
Annapolis but our feet were sore and we were wilting from the heat so
around 1800 we bid Stan, Elton, Michael, Mac and Steve goodbye and
headed back to the car.

Stopped in Chestertown on our way home. Highly recommend Brooks
Tavern if you are ever there. Great food, moderate portions and
prices. Arrived home to 40-some email messages and the request for a
Boat Show Report.

Good night.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless