[Rhodes22-list] Additional Boat Show Report

Stephen Staum staum at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 11 15:02:28 EDT 2009

Good to meet you Cowie & thanks for the sail on your gorgeous boat. If
you are ever in MA & want to slum it on an original 87 model, it would
be my pleasure.

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 11, 2009, at 1:36 PM, "Chris Cowie"
<ccowie at cowieassociates.com> wrote:

> [...]
> It was good to meet you.  Thanks for pitching in as first mate.  It
> was especially helpful with those wind gusts off the Severn river.  I
> plan to help out some more Monday and look forward to seeing how they
> get all those boats out of the show Monday night.  I plan to watch
> with a cold one in my hand and will spend the night on opus before
> sailing her home Tuesday.
>
> Chris Cowie
> Cowie Associates PC
>

> On Oct 11, 2009, at 11:14 AM, "Stephen Staum" <staum at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I was at the show Friday afternoon & all day Saturday. I was with
>> Stan
>> as he closed the deal on the 2001 Refurb. Great to watch a master at
>> work. Michael Meltzer is working his ass off all day, every day,
>> trying to sell boats. I thought traffic @ the GB booth was great both
>> days- lot's of tire kickers & some interested parties. Cowie is doing
>> yeoman work taking many prospects on test sales with Mac doing double
>> duty as first mate & additional sales help. I took a turn yesterday
>> as
>> first mate on Cowie's georgous R22 & helped with sales all afternoon.
>> What a great crew!
>> The show was a blast, sorry Ivhad to leave last night.
>>
>> Stephen Staum
>> 87 R22, Carol Lee
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Oct 10, 2009, at 2:46 PM, R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> Mary Lou,
>>> Thanks for the great report on the show. It was almost as if I was
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Rummy
>>>

>>> In a message dated 10/9/2009 10:42:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>>> mtroy at atlanticbb.net writes:
>>>
>>> Art  asked for a Boat Show report. So here goes. My apologies if I
>>> missed  someone that we spent time talking to. It was a very warm
>>> day
>>> and  ultimately I wilted a bit in the heat. (That's my story but in
>>> truth my  memory isn't great and my memory for names and faces is
>>> even
>>> worse)
>>>
>>> Arrived in Annapolis around 0835 and parked in our secret  parking
>>> place. Had breakfast at a local hangout and had a nice chat with
>>> the
>>> folks at the next table. One was a local racer and the other a
>>> friend
>>> who was working a booth for company from Newport RI making kevlar
>>> kayaks. Service was slow so we by the time we hit the bank and then
>>> walked over to the show it was open. We did stop on the way and
>>> admired Chris's Opus in the demo boat slip. Very sharp looking
>>> boat.
>>>
>>> Wandered around a bit hit the GB display around 1030. 3 boats on
>>> land. A new one, a recycled '01 and a recycled '88 with the mast
>>> hoist  system in place. Made for a very impressive display. #
>>> boats. I  think it was made possible by the fact that Hunter seems
>>> have abandoned  the space where it had a shoreside display. Spent
>>> some
>>> time talking to  Michael Meltzer. Met Mac Macready from the Magothy
>>> and Steve Staum from  Massachusetts. And a couple from Kansas who
>>> own
>>> an older boat. Can't  remember your names. Oops. Also at the display
>>> was Carlos Rodriguez from  General Boats.
>>>
>>> No gathering for lunch.
>>>
>>> In looking for a place  for lunch we did see a couple in R22 shirts.
>>> We followed them to their  table and introduced themselves. I didn't
>>> catch or don't recall their  names but they were from Montreal and
>>> bought Peter Thorn's Raven which  once belonged to the Kaynors and
>>> before that to Gary Sanford. I think  that's the only R22 where
>>> we've
>>> met 4 of the owners. We invited them to  join the list so you may
>>> hear
>>> from them something about the crazy  Americans who accost people at