[Rhodes22-list] How to honor the process -- if you find a used 22

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat Sep 5 08:00:29 EDT 2009

Seeing as how you haven't received a reply from Stan yet, I'll jump
in here with my opinion which is to essentially echo what Ben & Ron
have said with a couple of additional comments.

I think the best way to buy a used R22 is from Stan. Buying from GBI
is much like buying a new boat. Because all Rhodes 22s from GBI are
semi-custom, you will need to think about what you want in a boat as
that drives the price and at times, the availability. The two big
choices as I see it are IMF or conventional main which determines
what is available (they have different masts and rigging) and
enclosed head with holding tank or semi-enclosed with a porta-potty
(which determines the type of interior).

If you find a used boat on the Internet, chances are Stan already
knows about it and passed on it for reasons having to do with
condition or price. Now that the Internet includes local listings
like Craigslist, this may not always be the case but it was when we
bought our recycled Rhodes 11 years ago. It would not hurt to ask him
about a boat you find locally and of course it never hurts to go see
one locally. If you can, arrange a visit to Edenton, NC, visit the
plant and you will have a greater understanding of the process.

Any I'll echo what Ben said, that for years after purchasing our
recycled Rhodes from GBI people thought we had purchased a new boat.
Now we have some gelcoat issues (spider cracks - a used boat is a
used boat) so people don't make that assumption any more but we are
still very very pleased with our boat.

Best of luck,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless