[Rhodes22-list] The magic of electricity

R Orkin roryorkin at verizon.net
Tue Sep 8 19:07:12 EDT 2009

Get a meter.. Cheap and simple to use. FIrst see if there is power at the
battery, Then check for corrosion at the terminals. Next under " Moron
Factor" be sure batteries are turned on if you have a battery switch.
If so which ever battery has a charge should run the breaker panel. If
Batteries are good and switched on, then check for continuity at the panel
(you probably have to remove it)paying particular attention to the
ground. It is really a simple system. If no power at the panel and power at
the battery which is switched on, then there is a break in the cables
feeding the panel or at some junction point leading to the battery.
It is unlikely that there is a break in that wire though unless something
has chewed through it..

Jim Connolly wrote:

> Disclaimer:  I have the old panel in the location just above the cabin
> step.  I also have one battery and no shore power.  My wiring runs from
> the battery forward of the water tank under the vee berth starboard and
> aft under/behind the counter.
>

> My panel has lighted switches.  Does yours?  Do the switches light, but
> the equipment doesn't power up?   If so, check for blown fuses at the
> panel.  If the switches don't lite, check for a blown master fuse entering
> the panel or near the battery.
>

> An inexpensive digital volt-ohm-amp meter is probably the indispensible
> item in an electrical toolbox.  with it, you can follow the voltage (or
> lack of it) back to the battery/batteries.
>

> Good luck
>

> Jim Connolly

-----
Rory Orkin