[Rhodes22-list] Carb overhaul

R Orkin roryorkin at verizon.net
Fri Sep 11 16:56:14 EDT 2009

For what it is worth.. I found that you can buy a new carburator for the
Yamaha 9.9 online for nearly the same price as a rebuild.. Changing it out
is not very hard.
  also Learning to rebuild a small engine carburator is also not that hard.
Care to name that Marina for "the public good"

Arthur H. Czerwonky wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I had a Honda 4s carburetor cleaned in June, having not used it for many
> months.  The jets were apparently clogged/gummed, so there went almost
> $300.  I learned that this marina, with Honda signs flying, and asserting
> their status as a Honda repair facility, has no connection to Honda
> whatever, having lost that distinction a year ago.  The upshot - from now
> on I will call the manufacturer to validate what their 'dealer' has said.
> Having said that, Honda correctly is removed from the situation.  The job
> now has to be redone for an error they made, and ~90 days later I have
> little recourse.  I share this as a caution with the fleet, just be very
> careful.  This is an apparent reputable business operation.  I have
> learned from a real Honda service center today that they charge $135 to
> $150 for the same job.
>
> Sailors do very limited motoring, another caveat, especially a factor for
> motors <15hp - if unused, the jets can become gummed in a matter of a few
> weeks of hot weather, regular, mid-grade, ethanol, whatever.  Using the
> motor, if only for this purpose, is a pretty key factor.
>
> Just for fleet benefit.
>
> Art

-----
Rory Orkin