[Rhodes22-list] Saga of the Annapolis trip

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 28 18:45:04 EDT 2009

Mike,

I never expected the problem, so few times that I have encountered the hydraulic surge brakes stopping the trailer when backing it up, but I think this did it.  The SS Tie Down 9.2" brakes (P/N 81101) use semi-metalic pads.  Mine were brittle as well as well worn, although not completely worn.  I will be especially careful to have very ample "backup spacers" at the tongue and not move an inch if there is resistance to backing up.  The pads will just dig into the rotor surface, ergo a scored rotor = new rotor.

I will continue to do the heat check 10-15 miles into any transit.  I will also pull the wheels on the braked axle, only one on most Triads, and feel the rotor surface on occasion, certainly before a big trip.  I don't want to have a trip prevented.  Even a corroded rotor surface should not have concentric scoring.

My replacement brakes will probably be with vented rotors versus solid (Tie Down P/N 82113).  They are treated but not SS, so I'll have to keep them very slean, especially after saltwater.  We'll just see how they do.  Tie Down thought it wouldn't be risky to try.

Others in the fleet may have other tips.

Art