[Rhodes22-list] Need for Speed

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu Apr 8 12:06:10 EDT 2010

Chris,

Thanks for the pictures!

You mentioned, "Boat speed
over 5kts in 10‐15kt wind with about
10% main and 30% Genoa."

Do you remember your point-of-sail?  Normally I try to balance the sails and helm but I'm always surprised at how fast the boat moves in varying sail configurations.  I'm amazed at how well it sails under main or Genoa alone without undo presssure on the tiller.

I still find it difficult to consistently maintain a speed over 5 knots on anything much above a beam reach when the wind is more than 10 knots.  I blame it on chop and current and lack of rail meat, but I'm sure it has more to do skill.  Boom and board down with balanced sails and about 15 degrees of heel seems to work sometimes.  Think I should try less sail and less heel?

Thanks!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD