[Rhodes22-list] Mast Raising Party

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Sat Apr 10 16:19:02 EDT 2010

This will actually be my first time lowering the mast before raising it for
the second time.  Unlike most Rhodes owners I don't have a trailer and plan
to keep my mast in place unless lowering is required for maintenance.  I
thought about lowering it while on the hard just for fun but decided not to
try and fix something that is not broke.  My boat launched last Tuesday and
I had someone looking at my vhf radio that seems to be getting spotty
reception.  He pointed out that I am missing the whip on top of my antenna.
I think this is an easy fix to simply screw in a new whip but will need to
lower the mast to do so.  Lowering the mast will also give me a chance to
better understand why my anchor light is not working.  My power panel has a
switch for running lights, another for mast head light and a third for
anchor light.  the mast has two hot wires but only one shows current, the
mast head light. Probably a lamp issue.

My question is if lowering and raising the mast while the boat is in the
water at her slip is a bad idea?  Any suggestions or things to watch out for
besides not loosing all the turn buckle pins overboard?  I do have the mast
raising system so I would think it shouldn't be a big deal.