[Rhodes22-list] Engine size

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Mon Apr 19 14:53:24 EDT 2010

I have a 9.9 which I think is way too heavy and much more power than I
need.  I've been told that an 8-hp will get you up to our hull speed of
5.99 knots which is nice, but not necessary.

The issue would be foul weather.  Friday evening I got caught in a
26-knot wind with my full-main deployed.  Reefing early is good
seamanship on any boat but very important on a furling mainsail that you
can't just drop.  To furl the mainsail away I needed to motor into the
wind, which I think a 6-hp would do even with a full flapping mainsail.
Then I needed to head directly into the wind and waves which is a
typical scenario in a storm.  My 9.9-hp was only moving me at 4 knots in
the heavy chop.  I'm not sure if a 6-hp would move our boats into heavy
weather.

The art of good seamanship is never having to use seamanship, but if you
never accidentally get caught in a storm, then you just aren't sailing
enough.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE