[Rhodes22-list] Mast raising land or water

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Thu Apr 29 08:29:58 EDT 2010

Ken,
Sharon and I have raised the mast of Harmony over land, on water at a
dock, and on water at anchor in a quiet cove.
It's all possible.  All the things the others have mentioned are
important.  You might consider wearing a pfd over water just in case as
well as putting down the swim ladder (40 degree water, brrrrr).  I have
a system that works pretty well for me.  I have a small plastic box that
contains one of everything I need (clevis pins, screws, etc) that I keep
closed unless I'm removing a part.  I still need to attach some sort of
bobber to the box.  I keep spares of everything in a separate tool bag
that stays in the cockpit.  I have made an outline of the procedure to
refer to before raising and lowering.  We trailer sail, so we do this
quite a bit, but in the heat of battle I worry about raising the mast
without removing ALL the bungies I've used to hold the jib to the mast.
So a simple outline helps.
BTW, I've found a 1000 uses for the bungies that are made as loops with
a plastic ball.  You can get them in various sizes.  I use them to help
hold the jib and boom to the mast when we pack up to go on the road.  I
also use them to hold the backstays and main shrouds to the rear mast
crutch.  It makes a neat controllable coil.
Hope this helps,
Joe