[Rhodes22-list] Mast raising land or water

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Thu Apr 29 08:37:56 EDT 2010

Ken,
We rig our boat in the parking lot at the marina.  We then move to the ramp and launch.  Beware of overhead lines and trees!  We do not have the GB mast raising system.

That time of year.  I am re-sending out Slim's mast raising checklist using the GB system that he posted back in 2005. Can't say how accurate it is, since I don't use it.  I have my own. - rob

RAISING THE MAST WITH THE GB BOW CRANE:

WARNING: Never let anyone stand under the mast during the hoisting

1.  Inspect masthead, attach radio antennae and check shroud and stay connections to mast
2.  With the mast resting on the mast crutch roller, walk the mast, boom and jib aft and connect the mast to the tabernacle
3.  Connect hoist crane to cabin top block
4.  Tie the crane winch line to the bow cleat
5.  Connect aft lower shrouds to top of crane
5a. Alternate:  Attach line from crane to mast bail and connect aft lowers to their chain plates
6.  Connect back stays to their chain plates, making sure back stays are in front of stern rail.
7.  Connect upper shrouds to their chain plates
8.  Put the 8² extensions on the forward lower shrouds and connect to their chain plates
9.  Begin raising the mast, continually checking for any shrouds or stays getting snagged or kinked, making sure the turnbuckles aren¹t fowled and tending the jib as it comes forward
10.  Raise the mast all the way up, keeping tension on the winch until you connect the bow stay to its chain plate
11. Disconnect the hoist crane and attach aft lower shrouds to their chain plates
12. Remove forward lower shroud extensions and connect shrouds to their chain plates
13. Adjust shroud turnbuckles as needed
14. Connect traveler bar between back stays
15. Lower the boom and connect it to the traveler
16. Tighten the back stay tensioning line
17. Remove mast crutch
18. Connect rudder assembly to the transom
19. Connect pop top to mast slider
20. Connect radio and steaming light