[Rhodes22-list] Mast raising land or water

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 30 08:57:06 EDT 2010

I have raised and lowered my mast so many times over the past 8+ years of owning the boat that I do it without having to give it much thought anymore.  I think I'm probably better at putting the mast up and down than I am at actually sailing the boat!  The three biggest improvements I have made to the whole exercise and trailering (aside from a new trailer which makes all the difference) is (1) the mast bail set-up so that you can attach the winch to the mast using rope instead of having to disconnect the aft lower shrouds.  Doesn't sound like much but it is a big time and hassle saver. (2) Had a mast receptacle welded on the bow rail so that the bottom of the mast slips in and locks for trailering and (3) using zip ties exclusively for holding down the mast and stays while trailering.  I use three different sizes and have some real large ones that I use to hold the mast at the bow and stern and to hold the stays.  They really don't cost much and are a big time saver.

Bob K