[Rhodes22-list] Mast raising land or water

Mike Cheung hmcheung57 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 10:05:10 EDT 2010

Bob,

Very interesting innovations!

Any chance of photos of the bow rail modification?  With the PVC tube
extension for supporting the furler, I'm having trouble visualizing how you
attached the mast base to the receptacle you describe.  Do you have a hole
drilled through the PVC extension so that it's held at a fixed position with
the same bolt that attaches the mast base to the bow rail receptacle?

Sorting out which of the bundled stays are the two I want (the aft lowers)
and getting them fed to the winch correctly can take a few moments of
looking befuddled, but doesn't seem too bad.  Your bail and rope set up
would leave that until the mast is up when it should be much easier.  I
would "miss" the redundancy that using the two aft lowers provides.  If one
were somehow to fail or not have been securely attached to the mast crane,
the other should really have no trouble supporting the mast.  Do you leave
the aft lowers attached when you trailer?  That would save a bit of rigging
time.  That does beg the question - why not leave the aft lowers attached
and use the forward lowers to bring the mast up?  The forward lowers have to
be detached anyway or you wouldn't be able to lower the mast.

Thanks for the ideas and I really would love to see pics of your bow
receptacle.

Mike

Bob Keller wrote:

> I have raised and lowered my mast so many times over the past 8+ years of
> owning the boat that I do it without having to give it much thought
> anymore.  I think I'm probably better at putting the mast up and down than
> I am at actually sailing the boat!  The three biggest improvements I have
> made to the whole exercise and trailering (aside from a new trailer which
> makes all the difference) is (1) the mast bail set-up so that you can
> attach the winch to the mast using rope instead of having to disconnect
> the aft lower shrouds.  Doesn't sound like much but it is a big time and
> hassle saver. (2) Had a mast receptacle welded on the bow rail so that the
> bottom of the mast slips in and locks for trailering and (3) using zip
> ties exclusively for holding down the mast and stays while trailering.  I
> use three different sizes and have some real large ones that I use to hold
> the mast at the bow and stern and to hold the stays.  They really don't
> cost much and are a big time saver.
>
> Bob K

-----
Mike Cheung