[Rhodes22-list] Pictures of demasting suggested by Rick

Rick sloopblueheron at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 19:19:00 EDT 2010

Bill,

I have the same vintage boat.  It looks like your forestay was attached to
the spinnaker bolt.  The spinnaker is not OEM.

You should have a chainplate strap for the forestay at the bow peak bolted
to the hull and extending up and above the deck.  If that chainplate isn't
there anymore, I suggest you not sail until it is restored.

The picture you sent back channel of the mast step base looks like the step
ripped out correctly.  Just the bolts ripped out without damaging the
gelcoat or underlying support.

I'd say the side stay ripped out correctly as well.  Gelcoat damage looks
minimal.

I'm wondering, did both the forestay and side stay go at once?  Or did the
genny flail around awhile before pulling over the rig?

Rick