[Rhodes22-list] Securing Boat To Trailer Question

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Wed Aug 18 14:31:54 EDT 2010

Orin,
Welcome!

Ah, already faced the wrath of Stan.  It's a bit of a sore subject with him, and you can't really blame him.  He gets paid to sell boats, not give advice.  That's what we do.  And you get what you pay for.

Charles is correct that the boat will most likely stay on the trailer on its own, but I believe most state laws require the boat to be attached to the trailer.  And you really don't want to have to boat wander off on its own if you have to swerve or something.  I use a 3 inch strap and wrap it over the gunnels and around under the trailer and tighten it up.  Not too tight as some of those ratchets can really put some tension on the strap.  My strap came with my boat, so I don't know if it's the best way to do it or not, but it works for me.  I use something like:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_32963_32963

Greensboro?  Where you planning to sail?  I'm north of you a couple of hours and sail on Claytor Lake. - Rob

S/V Getaway
1976 Rhodes 22