[Rhodes22-list] Cautionary Tale

BenCittadino bencittadino at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 22:37:14 EDT 2010

This weekend, after a calm, pleasant sail, having motored smoothly into my
slip, and just secured the boat I noticed somebodies  fishing line had
become tangled in the prop. I lowered the prop back into the water with a
plan to pull on the loose end while running the motor slowly in reverse to
unwrap the line. I held the filament end with one hand while manipulating
the tiller controller with the other hand. The plan did not work and almost
sucked my hand into the prop. I miraculously escaped with nothing more than
a semi-nasty paper cut like slit in my hand from the filament and the
certain knowledge that I am an idiot.

Lesson: NEVER EVER RUN AN ENGINE WITH ANY PART OF ANYONE'S BODY NEAR A
MOVING PART OR ATTACHED THERETO.

With the engine OFF I cut the line free. It took a few minutes but I have
all my fingers.

BenC
S/V Susan Kay ('93 recy '08)