[Rhodes22-list] Doyle UPS Price Has Increased

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Thu Feb 25 13:40:49 EST 2010

On a lighter note:

I recently ordered a new 135% jib from Stan for my boat.  The old 175 was
completely blown out and it is time to turn it into sail bags; otherwise, I
would cut it down and do something with it.  We have argued ad nauseum over
what is the best size of foresail for the Rhodes and I think we have finally
determined that it has to do with where you sail and what you want the boat
to do.

In my case, the boat has to point above all else because I spend very little
time on my lake on a reach.  The wind conditions and the water where I sail
rewards a boat that points.  I ordered a sail which will allow me to fly it
completely unfurled most of the time in moderate winds (12-15).  I have
found that if I can sheet in with the CB down and without that big roll on
the forestay, that this boat points really well.  Being single-handed most
of the time, I just couldn't roll out that big 175 and stay on my feet.
 That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the 175%.  If you are
an ocean/bay sailor who is reaching or on a big wide lake, I still think it
is best.  On the other hand, if you are threading needles like I do a
lot-then you may have to rethink it.  It is amazing how much time and
distance you can save if you can avoid a couple of tacks.  In my case, I get
home a lot quicker or have a better chance of winning the race.

Now let me get to the point of this post:  So now I am going to reduce the
size of my jib which helps with pointing when the wind is up, but what about
those days when the 175% used to shine?  Winds less then 10 especially when
reaching or running?  I knew that I was putting myself behind the eight ball
in those situations, so how do I make up for it?

I ordered the UPS from Doyle which is very well chronicled on rhodes22.org  to
be my goto on light wind days and when running downwind.  I should have the
new sail plan up and running in a couple of months in time for the season
and will post pics and descriptions then.  In the meantime, I wanted to let
everyone know that the kit is still available, but the price I was quoted is
now $ 1075.00.  They will still sell the sail and furler only for the $
975.00 club price but I figure by the time I chase down all the parts that
it would end up costing the same or more and they are shipping it free this
month.

By the way, thanks to Tom Deliberto for the photos and descriptions on
rhodes22.org from about 7 years ago.  It made my decision much easier.  That
website is a great tool also with its pictures and documents, thanks to
those running it.

David Culp