[Rhodes22-list] re move mainsail

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Sat Feb 27 15:59:09 EST 2010

Chris:

I just recently did this.  Run a messenger line through the boom when you
pull the furling line out so as to make re-installation easier.

When the foil comes out of the mast you will find a plastic donut attached
to the top of it.  Take care not to break it, clean it and I lubed mine with
silicon spray.

Now is an excellent time to check the condition of the furling line and
replace it if necessary.

Be aware that when you reinstall the sail on the foil that you must get the
luff tight-I always use a helper to make sure that I get tension on it
before securing it being careful not to bend the foil.

Last, when you go to roll the sail on the foil and back into the mast-make
sure to add a couple of extra loops of furling line around the base of the
foil because you can't get the sail rolled as tight as it will be once the
wind is in it and you are rolling it in a few times.  A used, stretched sail
may not exhibit this phenom as badly as my new one did but it is a lot
tougher to add loops when the mast is up.  Also, I chose to reinstall with
the mast sitting horizontally on saw horses; with a couple of helpers to
make sure that it was rolling up as tightly and straight without wrinkles as
possible.  Came off without a hitch though when I pull the boat this year, I
am going to recheck the luff tension.  I have the battened IMF main and
there is just barely enough room inside the mast for it and it will wrinkle
as it goes in if the luff is not tight and straight.

Hope this helps.
David