[Rhodes22-list] Single or double axle?

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Sun Feb 28 12:03:39 EST 2010

Frank,
  A lot of your choice depends on how you plan to use your new Rhodes.If
you dock or moor your boat at a local lake and don't plan on towing it
more than 300 miles a year,a single axle would be my choice.
  I got an old single axle trailer when I bought Country Rhodes 7 years
ago,it was Stans design,but I don't think it was built by Triad.Even if
the boat was all the way forward on the trailer,I couldn't get much over
60 mph without fishtailing setting in on the first big bump in the
road.I understand the newer single axel trailers don't have near as much
trouble in this respect. I bought a new,two axel trailer from Stan in
'04,and have been very happy with it. I've towed from Ohio to Lake
Norman,North Caralina twice(500 miles each way) with a '03 Toyota
fore-runner,V-8,with a 5000 lb towing capacity. I,too,found it necessary
to get up to 80 mph to blend in with traffic,with no problems.
 The main reason I went with the double axel was to help compensate for
the short wheel base of the 4-runner.I got a whole lot more more plusses
than that....
I believe two axles help smooth out the road by splitting the total weight
to 4 wheels.
I was going to give you a big list,but it's time to take the family out to
lunch.

Jerry Lowe
country rhodes

  I am in the process of deciding on a trailer and would appreciate any