[Rhodes22-list] Best middle Chesapeake place to overnight?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat Jan 9 16:44:59 EST 2010

Hi Greg,
Are you talking about camping ashore or on the boat at anchor?

If you are talking about camping ashore, Hart-Miller and Elk Neck
State park may be your best (and only) bets. If you are looking to
sleep aboard the boat, you have lots of options.

The Hart-Miller anchorage is not particularly well protected (neither
is Elk Neck for that matter). H-M is open to the northwest and west.
It would be fine in light air or with wind from the East and probably
the South. It's a fairly busy channel between H-M and the mainland so
there may be a lot of wakes.

Are you coming from North East? If so, Turner Creek on the Sassafras
is delightful. Still Pond is great particularly inside but I've heard
that the shallow narrow entrance has shoaled so that it may be a
problem even for shoal draft boats like ours. The outer anchorage is
nice except in NW breezes. Worton Creek is a wonderful anchorage. Sue
Creek on the Middle River is nice but a bit more built up. There's
also a nice anchorage around the corner from Hart-Miller behind Rocky
Point. It says 3 ft on our chart but when we anchored there once many
years ago with a group of Rhodies, we anchored in at least 4 ft. of water.

There are lots more out there. Many are well described in
Shellenberger's "Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide" (2001)
and "Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay" published annually by the
staff of Chesapeake Bay Magazine. If you planning on doing much
anchoring out, either is a recommended purchase.

BTW, it's all the Upper Bay until at least the Bay Bridge, Maybe
until south of the Rhode/West River.

Good luck! Enjoy! and if you get down as far as Rock Hall let us know.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD