[Rhodes22-list] Owners manual for newer boat Solar panel thoughts, may be

r22rumrunner at aol.com r22rumrunner at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 15:41:55 EST 2010

Rod,
What you need is a charge controller. WM sells them. Which one you need
depends on the output of your solar panels. We installed one a few years ago
on  Capt. Bob's boat and I haven't heard of any problems since then. They
control  the charge rate and also prevent discharge during cloudy days.

Rummy

In a message dated 1/10/2010 1:59:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ellner at pressenter.com writes:

Gregg  MacMillan wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2010, at 12:10 PM, Ellner  wrote:
>
>>  I am looking for a newer version  of the owners manual.

Thanks for your effort. That is what I  was looking for. The manual is
always a good read, especially during the  off season  There are a few
differences from the 1988  version.   I plan on changing to the "vertical
cam cleat" on the  main out haul line on the boom.  On my boat has the
main furling line  secures to the small cleats on the bottom of the
boom.  I have  considered a cam or clam cleat.  How are  the newer boats
rigged?

I would like to read the owners manual for the solar  panels if there is
one.   As I understand it one panel goes  directly to #1 battery (front
battery)  and the other  goes to  the rear battery.#2.   I also have a
battery selector switch;  position choices. off, both, #1, #2.  I am
thinking to save one  battery from the other battery going bad (ie.not
holding a charge)one  should turn the battery switch to off when not
using the boat.   Otherwise  one panel would be charging battery A and
the other panel  would be charging battery B but if the selector switch
is in the "both"  position the bad battery would be drawing off the good
battery leaving  both batteries discharged.  Does that sound reasonable?
If the  selector switch is  at #1 OR #2 OR off position the good battery
would accept and hold a charge and the bad battery would not. In that
case the "good battery' would have and hold a charge and the "bad
battery" might take a charge, or not, and not hold a charge.  My
situation is; My outboard is a manual start so a starting battery is not
needed.  I have two gp 27 deep cycle batteries on boat. One was new  and
the other was an older battery.  Typically I did not turn the  battery
selector to the "off" position. At one  time I had turned the  selector
to "off" when I left the boat.  The next time I was on  the boat I
thought I had a total power failure. Much later in my search  for the
problem I turned the switch to another position other than off.  Who
would have ever thought ...!!

The first sign  I  noticed I was having battery problems was when early
in the  morning while getting the boat ready to leave the mooring  I
would  turn the marine radio and the GPS/fish finder on.  Either they
would  not work or the gps would give me a low battery alert.  I would
turn  them both off and go sailing.  Later one or both would work.  I
think at that time the sun had gotten high enough to produce enough
power to run one or both of them. I don't thing either of them have much
of an electrical draw.  The batteries may accept a charge but  probably
would not hold a charge for long.

What I did  wrong.    I should not have mixed a new battery with an
older  one.  I should have turned the battery switch to "off" when not on
the boat. That would have isolated the "bad" battery sooner.  Instead  of
thinking I had a bad battery I was thinking the solar panels were
drawing off  the battery charge at night. That would not be possible
because of the diodes.  What I did
right.................................I am still thinking!!

To make  a long story short.. too late for that. Whew.   Does anyone have
any thoughts on this situation?    I have a bad case of cabin  fever.

Thanks

Rod Ellner
Toy Blew  1987/2009

go to  http://www.rhodes22.org/list