[Rhodes22-list] towing a Rhodes 22 w/ a Toyota Tacoma?

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Mon Jan 18 11:43:02 EST 2010

I towed a single-axle trailer with a 98 4wd VV-6 Blazer for five seasons and
last year with a 2008 Highlander V-6 AWD, both with 5,000 lb rated capacity.
I typically tow twice a year for launch and recovery, 30 miles one-way
relatively flat highway driving.  I have taken the boat on vacation to the
New Hampshire lakes region (~ 90 miles and more hills) with the Blazer.

For the trip to NH, since I was carrying luggage and vacation stuff too, I
bought a weight distributing hitch (Equal-I-Zer brand) that also helps with
sway control.  No problems.  I re-adjusted it to use on the Highlander and
towed this last season with it.  It really smoothes things out with the boat
on the trailer.  I don't worry about tongue weight, and the spring bars tame
any sway, since the boat and trailer are almost twice as long as the
Highlander.

If you go this route, I don't recommend using the spring bars with the
trailer empty.  It isn't required, and any bumps in the road are transmitted
right from the unloaded trailer axle to your rear end for a jerky, noisy
ride.

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '03