[Rhodes22-list] Great Sailing in the Inland North West in January

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu Jan 21 10:25:15 EST 2010

Caesar,

Your story makes me yearn to get out.  I motored out of my slip last weekend only to discover that our channel was still frozen over.  I felt more disappointed than stupid and I felt really stupid.

Congrats on single-handling.  Sailing with crew gives you a great feeling of freedom and accomplishment and it pales by comparison to doing it by yourself.  When first sailing solo I found the biggest challenge was furling in the mainsail in heavy wind.  Now I use the motor to point me into the wind but it still takes some skill to get the sail put away without falling off the wind.

You mentioned "tying off tiller in order to go adjust the topping lift."  If you actually are tying off the tiller I highly recommend getting one of Stan's tiller locks.  It's one of the most useful features on my boat.  I keep my topping lift completely loose when the mainsail is out.  I'm not sure if there's any reason to adjust it.

Right after a tack I put the tiller between my legs so I can steer and still have two hands free for the sheets.  If sailing had been around before we evolved we'd still probably have functioning tails.

Thanks for the motivational story!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD