[Rhodes22-list] Vexed on Ventilation

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat Jul 3 23:18:35 EDT 2010

At 03:10 PM 7/3/2010, you wrote:
>Mary Lou, where do you keep your anchor rode?

We have never liked the R22 rode storage. Some people use it
effectively. We didn't want to be trying to get all that wet rode
through the cowl vent into the rode tray in the v-berth. Often on the
Chesapeake it's smelly or muddy wet rode. Instead we used a mesh
anchor rode bag and put the anchor and the rode (neatly flaked) into
the bag. It gets stored in the lazarette and walked forward when
needed. It can be deployed from the cockpit in an emergency (and the
walked forward). It works well because we always sail double handed.

The mesh bag is made for rode storage and has handles for carrying
and a grommet for you to thread the bitter end through. To keep
spaghetti to a minimum we have the last 150 ft of rode bundled in 50
foot bundles corralled with velcro ties. It's all nicely flaked so
that it can be ready if we are anchoring in a deep spot or have to
let out more scope in a blow. Here's a picture and description of a
bag similar to ours: http://www.owenmills.com/mar_anchor_rode_bag.php

I'd rather have a real rode locker with the anchor on the bow but
this has worked for us for more than 10 years.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless