[Rhodes22-list] Tired of IMF

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jul 7 15:40:02 EDT 2010

Good memory John!

We have found that the angle of the boom does make a big difference.
Slightly below horizontal seems to work for us. If the boom is
horizontal or above, it gets wrinkles as it furls. In fact if  feel
any resistance to furling, we stop, let out the topping lift and then furl it.

We do have some problems with the furling line jamming in the
fittings at the end of the boom but never with the sail itself
jamming except twice.

Once was very early on and we got a secondary halyard wrapped in with
it - had to cut the halyard and pull it free (nothing was on it -
it's the one we now use for the UPS.)

The second time was recently after we had gotten our new vertical
batten main and it seems to have jammed because the fabric of the
sail wasn't wrapped tightly enough around the furling tube. We
refurled, pulling on the outhaul to get a tighter wrap of the sail
and then we were able to deploy the sail without too much trouble. We
are trying to keep a little tension on the furling line so we get a
tight wrap - just like you would with a jib furler but too much
tension and it won't furl. The new sail is so much crisper than the
old sail that it has a tendency to want to wrap loosely so right now
(we've only sailed with it a 3 or 4 times) we are watching that
carefully as we furl. I suspect it will be better once the fabric
gets some memory for being wrapped around the tube.

Charlie, some other things occur to me.

You have had this problem for a long time and say your sail is pretty
beat up. It could be that the condition of the sail itself is causing
part of the problem.

You mention something about the sail being "too thick" coming out. I
assume you mean because of the wrinkles which even if you drop your
boom may be nearly permanent because you've had the problem for such
a long time. The only other thing I can think of that would make it
thick is if you trying to furl it too far. The sail is supposed to
furl so that the forward edge of the suncover is just inside the
slot. The sun  cover should be mostly exposed so that you have a
visible triangle of (suncovered) sail.

An intermediate step in your dilemma might be to look for a used main
in better condition than the one you have. I know that several people
on the list have replaced their furling main with the new vertical
batten sail. When we did that, we asked Stan if he wanted the sail
and he said he had too many of them and no market. He might be
willing to sell you one of those cheap. Might even take it in trade
on a vertical batten sail if you get the system working and decide
that is what you want.

Heck we'd sell you our old main cheap + shipping but it's somewhat
soft and a little baggy (no rips or tears) - Stan may have one in
newer condition.

Trying to adapt your current mast to a standard bolt rope, sail slug
or sail track system seems to me to be a daunting task involving
something kluged together to deal with the wide slot of the IMF mast.
It would probably be as cheap to trade mast and rigging with someone
including the shipping costs.

Someone mentioned poor sail shape because of the IMF and the
loosefooted main. The "poor sail shape" is strictly the result of the
cut of the IMF main (flat so it will furl and no roach so it will
furl) and has nothing to do with the loosefooted part. Many racing
boats use loosefooted mains which actually give you more control over
the shape of the sail.

Hope some of this is applicable to the problem.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD
where there is a nice breeze but it is just too darned hot to sail
Charlie - send us some of that rain, we need it badly!