[Rhodes22-list] Tired of IMF

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Wed Jul 7 16:51:58 EDT 2010

Charlie:

I am about 2.5 hrs south of you in Horseshoe Bay.  I have a 1998 with the
IMF and the new battened main.  I have taken the thing apart several times
since owning the boat to inspect and lubricate it.  It's a very simple
system and shouldn't be giving you these problems.  Take some really good
pictures when you can and I will bet that barring damage to something that
it can be made to work.  Once you get it working, I think you will like it,
especially with the new battened main.  The first question that comes to
mind is.... Is there anyway that the foil tube inside the mast could be
kinked in anyway?  Especially with the new bigger battened main, there is no
room left inside the mast enclosure and everything must be straight.  The
other thing is the furler tube rigging could be wrapped around something is
shouldn't.  I can't imagine the kind of tension you are having to use, I can
furl and unfurl mine with one hand as long as the boat is into the wind and
the boom is set slightly to starboard.

David Culp