[Rhodes22-list] Test sail in Edenton

Chris Cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Mon Jul 12 17:40:17 EDT 2010

Eileen:

I made the same trip to Edenton in April 2008 and ended up with a new  Rhodes in April of 2009.  The drive from DC to Edenton was about 5 hrs and I planned to stay the first night in stans not so Hilton accommodations within the plant.  I suggest you do the same.  Upon arrival Stan gave me a tour of the plant were it was hard to tell the difference between new and recycled boats.  After the plant tour Stan took me out for a quick get acquainted with the Rhodes sail out on his creek/river.  This was a helpful introduction to the Rhodes and it's special easy to use features.  Having an overnight in the not so Hilton room allowed me to get a fresh early start out on the boat for an overnight.  I sailed directly across the bay from Stan's place and then decided to make my way back to his side of the bay because of some stormy weather forecast for the next morning.  Keep an eye on the weather.  Weather underground and NOAA have good web sites to check on the marine forecast.  Heading upwind is always a good idea so it is easier to run home if you need to.  The bugs were pretty thick when I was there in April and I don't know what it's like in July.  Plan to use the pop top enclosure and keep the cabin lights to a minimum if it gets buggy.  I had a memorable weekend sail that included light, moderate and heavy wind, sun and rain and the Rhodes performed beyond my expectations in all conditions.  Have fun.

Christopher P. Cowie

4400 MacArthur Blvd, NW
Suite 300
Washington, DC  20007