[Rhodes22-list] Trip to Edenton

Chris Cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Thu Jul 15 09:12:32 EDT 2010

Eileen/Steve:

I agree with Chris G.  Don't be afraid to keep the sails furled and or furl them in as the wind builds.  Lowering the boom also helps in heavy wind conditions, Stan can show you how to do this.  Also don't be afraid to use the outboard.  I find it is hard to sail close hauled, into a heavy headwind and sometimes motor sail.  Keeping a little bit of sail out while motoring will help stabilize the boat.  Listen to NOAA and determine the forecasted wind direction and try to stay upwind.  Sailing on a broad reach, perpendicular to the wind, or down wind is a lot easier than close haul in heavy wind conditions.  Consider being in a river or more sheltered cove area if the winds kick up, this area should have more manageable sea conditions if the wind kicks up.  Go for it and have fun.

Christopher P. Cowie

4400 MacArthur Blvd, NW
Suite 300
Washington, DC  20007