[Rhodes22-list] What do you suggest as replacement

R Orkin roryorkin at verizon.net
Thu Jul 15 20:36:24 EDT 2010

Learned something from Yamaha guy about running dry..  He has an old hose
fitting which he put on the moter when he was running it out .. .. he said
that compresses the little valve on the motor inlet which allows air in and
allows more fuel to be burned off.
  I found that the Yamaha 8/9. 20" shaft works fine just using the tiller
handle in the vertical position.. One word of caution though . It seems that
as usual Stan has several variations of the electric lift.. As I understand
it the one that tilts the motor at the top of the run is a bit lower at the
transom and allows easier access to that tiller handle.. Some are in fact
higher and may interfere with the acces to the tiller handle controls..
Suggest checking that out if considering going to the tiller handle model

R22RumRunner wrote:

> 8hp Tohatsu, two stroke weighs in at 50 pounds w/o electric starter. I
> know
>  you can't buy them new, but they do appear on the internet lists from
> time
> to  time.
>
> Rummy
>

> In a message dated 7/14/2010 6:06:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> mtroy at atlanticbb.net writes:
>
> Geoff,  you must live somewhere on well water like we do.
>
> Motor looks  interesting. A step in the right direction as far as
> weight is concerned.  If I were looking at it seriously, I'd want a
> longer shaft and a bigger  prop. It says other props optional but 20"
> is the longest shaft. Would  also want the external fuel tank. Because
> we keep the boat in a slip, I  would want to know if it has a flush
> port (most Yamahas do). It doesn't  have electric start which would be
> a deal breaker for us as I have  difficulty getting a long and quick
> enough pull to start most outboards.  We also really like our motor
> controls in the cockpit but we do a lot of  motoring and a lot of
> maneuvering in unfamiliar territory when we   take slips at other
> marinas or navigate in busy channels when cruising. I  believe there
> are some folks on the list with 6 horse outboards who find  them
> perfectly adequate for their needs.
>
> A lighter motor would be  really nice both in terms of getting it on
> and off the boat and in terms  of the trim of the boat. Our Yamaha 8
> high thrust weighs over 100 lbs.  It's a pain in the butt if you have
> to get it on or off the boat when the  boat is in the water.
> Fortunately, we've only had to do that once when we  first got it. I'm
> sure all that weight on the transom adversely affects  the way the
> boat handles though its not really noticeable. The tradeoff is  that
> we really like the electric start, the high thrust design, the longer
> shaft and the cockpit controls.
>
> Best,
> Mary  Lou
>

> At 04:58 PM 7/14/2010, you wrote:
>>Wow, take  a look at this 62-pound Yamaha 6HP 4-stroke. Weighs less than a
>>large  bag of water softener  salt!
>>
>>http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/Hot_Sheets/June_2010_Hotsheets/F6_F4%2
> 0Hot%20Sheet%20FINAL%20FINAL%207-1-10.pdf
>>

>>On  Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Chris Cowie
>><ccowie at cowieassociates.com>wrote:
>>
>> > I have  the same Yamaha 8HP as Mike and love it.  The engine tiller
> works
>>  > fine and it runs great.  I flush out the water system after each use
> and
>> > also remove the gas line and let the engine run dry.
>>  >
>> > Christopher P. Cowie
>> >

>> >  4400 MacArthur Blvd, NW
>> > Suite 300

> [...]