[Rhodes22-list] Test sail in Edenton

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Jul 20 08:45:42 EDT 2010

Eileen and Steve,

Congratulations!  Hope you have many years of happiness with your boat.

If you search the archives you'll find lots of advice on options.

The Rhodes is an exceptional light-wind cruiser.  However if the winds
are over 15 knots you really don't want much sail out on a close reach.
According to Stan you won't make any headway into a 28 knot wind, but I
usually call it quits at about 20 knots.  At that point it becomes more
work than fun, partly due to the wind but frequently due to the waves.
I couldn't find the average wind speed for Smith Mountain Lake but I'd
bet you'll have far more opportunities to sail in winds less than 10
knots than more.

The great thing about the Rhodes in windy weather is that you can reef
the sails to any size (no set reefing points).  If the wind is too much
for you then you probably have too much sail out.  On a close reach I
usually start reefing the 175% Genoa when the wind exceeds 5 knots, and
with the boom up and the full mainsail I can heel more than 15 degrees,
which might be uncomfortable for a newer sailor.

If you think you have too much sail out then you usually do.  Start out
well-reefed and then let small amounts of sail out at a time.  Once
you're comfortable with your boat, sailing with too much sail out can be
fun and exciting.

Enjoy your new toy!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE