[Rhodes22-list] difficulty of removing swing keel?

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Sun Jul 25 22:15:44 EDT 2010

You can remove the centerboard by removing the the 2 plates and knocking out
the pivot pin. The centerboard is supposed to drop down out of the trunk but
you can't do that if the boat is on the trailer.  My 71 didn't have a cap
the trunk was one piece molded in place. So I cut the top of the centerboard
trunk in the corners at a 45* angle with a saws all. Then pulled the
centerboard out through the cabin.My trunk was swollen from cement damage I
had to run a saw blade down both sides of the trunk to free the centerboard.
When I reassembled the top I used Marine-tex epoxy putty to seal the saw
cut. Then put a layer of fiberglas over it all as reinforcement.

Hope that helps
John S