[Rhodes22-list] GB Furler?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Jun 10 14:06:09 EDT 2010

Yes there is a difference. The GBI furler is an aluminum tube with a
slot in it with a starboard reel at the bottom. The sail is fastened
to the tube with screws. Stan started shipping boats with the CDI
furler instead a few years back. The original GBI furler worked well
and was nearly bulletproof but the only way to remove the sail was to
lower the mast which is what we did 7 years ago when threatened by a
Hurricane then Tropical Storm Isabel.

We now have a Schaeffer Snap-Furl which allows us to raise and lower
the genoa with a halyard. There are plusses and minuses like
everything. It works pretty well but is subject to halyard wrap if
you don't get the halyard restrainer properly positioned or leave the
halyard too loose. You also need another halyard - we now have one
for the jib and one for the UPS. The furler is made of PVC sections
that snap together (permanently) lengthwise around the forestay. For
transport we strap it to the mast. We haven't done anything extra to
support the furler reel but might if we were transporting it longer
distances. We have a 3 mile run from the boatyard where we store the
boat for the winter to home where we do our spring commissioning and
about the same from here to the ramp where we launch.

We went with the Schaeffer because it is easier to change sails with
the external halyard rather than the messenger line set-up on the CDI.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD