[Rhodes22-list] Bimini Height from cockpit floor?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun Jun 13 11:41:48 EDT 2010

Greg,
For me, a bimini is essential for comfortable cruising on the bay.

When your main is fully deployed does it go all the way to the top of
the mast? I think the mast heights may be different between IMF and
standard or at least the sail size may be different - (more roach on
the main? - someone who knows please chime in here). With the IMF, we
don't change the size of the main in the upper or lower position but
if using the bimini necessitated reefing the main I would go for it.
Do you have reef points or roller (around the boom) reefing? We had
the roller (around the boom) reefing on the Com-Pac 16 and hated it
because we could never get a good sail shape. If we had it on a R22
and experienced the same problems, we would have reef points
installed in the sail.

Do you have a pop-top on your boat? I think even the early R22s
do.  If so, I would use the raised pop-top as the target height for
the boom. If the boom clears the pop-top, you can use the bimini at
anchor with the pop-top up, as well as sailing with the main reefed.
The only way to see how well she sails with the main reefed and the
genoa is to try it. On some days on the Chesapeake, you'll be so
grateful for the shade you probably won't care how well she sails.

Good luck with it,

Mary Lou