[Rhodes22-list] Bimini Height from cockpit floor?

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sun Jun 13 11:45:30 EDT 2010

Greg,

I'm not familiar with the standard main.  When you said you had to raise the
boom up a foot, does that mean the boom slides up and down the mast similar
to the IMF main?

With my IMF I can have the boom resting on the lowered poptop.  My raised
poptop has two positions to connect to the mast about 4" apart.  The lower
position gives me about 6' of head clearance under the poptop.  With the
bottom of my poptop arms resting on the spring pins (instead of the spring
pins set in the holes of the arms) I have about 6'4" of head clearance with
the poptop attached to the upper position on the mast.  The boom could also
attach to either of the mast positions depending upon where the poptop is
attached but I usually just let it rest on the poptop connection.  After
re-reading this description it probably makes no sense--I'll try to take
some pictures.

Anyway, if your boom slides up and down your mast and you have enough space
for your sail at the top of the mast, you might be able to drill a couple of
holes in the mast to connect the boom high enough to clear the bimini.

My boom can touch the bimini if pulled tight beating it close-hauled, but on
most points-of-sail the boom rises high enough or is off center enough that
it doesn't touch the bimini.

Yesterday in a 13.5 knot wind we had the IMF main reefed to about 80% and
the Genoa reefed to about 90% with the lines run between the shrouds.  On a
close reach of about 70 degrees we were able to maintain between 4 and 4.5
knots of speed with hardly any heel.  I shouldn't use "wife" and "ballast"
in the same sentence, but railmeat makes a hugh difference on our light
boats.

With the family you'll be able to sail fast enough with a comfortable heel
even in light winds with your main reefed.  If the wind gets up around 8
knots it will probably be too windy to sail with the bimini up.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD