[Rhodes22-list] Sorry to bring this subject up

Geoff Farrell geoffreylfarrell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 20:07:17 EDT 2010

Okay, I'm putting together my wish list for Stan for a Rhodes 22. I'm really
confused about the whole MSD thing. I'll be mainly day sailing. Will I even
use the head with the holding tank? My slip location doesn't have a pump-out
facility. So, how would I empty it? I'll be sailing in Mobile Bay or
Pensacola Bay or Perdido Bay, or, if I venture into the ocean, I'll be close
to shore. So, the way I understand the law is that I can't discharge
overboard, even if treated. When would I use the macerator? Do I even want a
macerator?

I know I'm all over the place with this post. What do you all do (no pun
intended) in this regard?

I'm thinking that I would have a Rhodes 22 with a Type III MSD but for 99.9%
of the time I would just use a portable toilet and not even use the Rhodes'
head.

Also, I'm wondering if having a Type III MSD might severely limit where I
could moor my boat (in Alabama)  given what I have been reading about the
Alabama Clean Boating Act, a portion of which is (see the last paragraph):

*

7. Marine Sanitation Devices (MSDs)
*

Effective October 1, 2003, the new Marine Sanitation Act 2002-59 or Clean
Boating Bill makes

the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources responsible for
enforcing boat sewage

discharges. When the Act is fully implemented, the Department of
Conservation and Natural

Resources will inspect marine sanitation devices on both recreational and
residence vessels

and issue yearly MSD inspection decals.

Recreational boats with installed toilet facilities must have an operable
USCG-certified marine

sanitation device onboard. All boats 65 feet in length and under may use a
Type I, II, or III

MSD. Boats over 65 feet must install a Type II or III MSD.

*Vessels with a Type III MSD are prohibited (except in an emergency) from
docking, storing,*

*anchoring, or mooring at marinas unless the marina has a pump-out or waste
disposal system.*

*It is illegal to discharge untreated sewage into the waters of the state or
within 9 miles of the*

*coastline in the Gulf of Mexico.*

Any thoughts are appreciated. I waited late in the day to post this so most
of you would have already had your Sunday dinners. Thanks, Geoff